Monday, December 12, 2011
Pearl Harbor
From the presentation, I learned that, even though the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack, the Americans still had ample warning, if they had only listened. According to the DVD, the alarm was tripped at least three times, including one instance where a Japanese periscope was sighted. I've always known about the tragedy of Pearl Harbor, but I never knew how much warning we had. This attack was unique, though, in that it was on US soil. Besides the war of 1812, 9/11 was the only other attack on US soil when it was a nation. I wonder, though, how the Japanese leaders expected us to react. However they expected us to act, the attack threw America into a prowar frenzy in a conflict that many wanted to stay out of. With Pearl Harbor, the Japanese tilted the tide of the war, possibly away from their favor. Another fact I learned, though not from the DVD; St. Ambrose's feast day is on December 7.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've always wondered that too. The Japanese wanted to keep us out for at least 6 months which is what they thought they were doing by destroying our battleships. They neglected to recognize the importance of carriers.
ReplyDelete