Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Stamp Act

The Stamp Act was original in that it affected virtually every class in the colonies. Anything official, from testimonies, to licenses, to simple dice, had to have stamps. I think that, although these stamps weren't expensive, the colonists felt that they were being unfairly taxed by a far off ruler. In resisting the Stamp Act, pioneers such as Patrick Henrey were crucial. With his resolves, which went so far as to demand that colonists enjoyed freedoms of a British citizen, and that taxes could only be imposed by colonial assemblies, the colonists found themselves uniting behind a common goal. This, however, often led to violence. I think that fear of injury didn't do so much to convince officers to resign positions at stamp offices as did fear of being shunned and hated by the community. I find it ironic that when the act was repealed, it was done only for economic reasons. Tensions were also further strained when the British government snuck in the Declaration Act, establishing complete control over the colonies in all aspects.

1 comment: